Michael Buro's Homepage
To prospective graduate students: I am swamped with
generic application emails from students who don't know much about my
research interests and past work. To simplify my filtering process
please impress me by tailoring your applications to my research
interests, making a strong case why you think I should supervise you,
describing a research project you are motivated to work on, and
sending me your email using subject [APPLI]. Other emails will be
ignored. Also, at the moment I am only reading Ph.D. applications. For
M.Sc. applications in our department you don't need to contact
UPDATE (12'2018): I won't accept new
applications until August 2019. Please don't contact me until then
Hans Berliner on AI trends:
"I consider the most important trend was that computers got considerably
faster in these last 50 years. In this process, we found that many things
for which we had at best anthropomorphic solutions, which in many cases failed
to capture the real gist of a human's method, could be done by more brute-forcish
methods that merely enumerated until a satisfactory solution was found. If
this is heresy, so be it."
xkcd describes my work area
; Measuring Code Quality
Yann LeCun on Deep Learning and the future of AI
Jan-7-2015 jesuischarlie From The New Yorker...
Is Voting Weakening America? Good Magazine
FAQ related to Carl Sagan's "Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence"
Age of Ignorance
Leave your cellphone at home ...
Did the Bomb or Stalin defeat Japan?
How many colors do you see in the image? 4? Actually there are only 3! Check the RGB values.
Can virtual reality be real? --
Fast forward to: Incredible!
NICE logic puzzle: identify gods, and as a bonus, make their heads explode!
Another nice problem (meant to be be solved by 14 year old top 40% math students in Singapore)
Neil deGrasse Tyson on Intelligent Design. At 21:00 he nails it: "Have you discovered anything lately? If not, get out of the science class room."
Neil deGrasse Tyson's fascinatingly disturbing thought
Why Tough Teachers Get Good Results
Jim Jefferies on Guns in the U.S
Winter is coming! Are HBO lawyers losing it?
Proof that P. Ryan doesn't understand how insurance works
Google Echo Chamber Memo: Worth being fired for? Bosten Globe Comment WIRED Comment
Worth watching: Jordan Peterson interview
- Jan. 8, 2019: new CMPUT 605 individual study grad course on heuristic search applied to games. There is still time to enrol!
- Nov. 7, 2018: updated my CMPUT 603 presentation (see below)
- Aug. 21, 2018: new CMPUT 605 individual study grad course on Game AI
- Jul. 29, 2018: CPCC2018 presentation slides
- Dec. 4, 2017: updated my CMPUT 603 presentation (see below)
- Nov.21, 2016: updated my CMPUT 603 presentation (see below)
- Jul.14, 2016: upcoming course list updated (see below)
- May.23, 2016: new SkatGame app released. You can now play against some of the World's strongest Skat programs (kermit, zoot, theCount) on Android / IOS / PC !
- Nov.9, 2015: added my M.Sc. Project List 2015-2016
- May.15, 2015: added AIIDE-15 workshop CFP
- Nov.20, 2014: updated my CMPUT 603 presentation (see below)
- May.9, 2014: added AIIDE-14 workshop CFP
- Oct.20, 2012: released Jox, a HTPC command center for Linux
- Oct.16, 2012: released ORTS-lite, an abstract RTS game simulator and tournament environment written in C++ (see below)
- Jul.26, 2012: added Webbels, a Blubbels clone written in HTML5. Also avaiable in Google Play.
- Apr.30, 2012: added AIIDE-12 workshop CFP
- Nov.18 2011: added CMPUT 603 slides (see below)
- Feb.4 2011: 2nd Starcraft AI Competition homepage added
- July 2010: moved webpage to skatgame.net
- July 2009: IJCAI paper on Kermit - the best Skat playing program
in the world!
- Oct.30 2007: On Mondays at 14:00 MST there will be
on ISS. Please join us!
Everybody is welcome.
- Oct.29 2007: Interested in learning a good card game? Join us to
play skat Wednesdays
from 12:30 to 14:00 in the SUB food court seating area. Everybody is welcome!
- Oct.16 2007: The International Skat Server is on-line.
- June.20 2007: GGS moved to bodo1.cs.ualberta.ca
- June.2 2007: 2007 RTS AI competition results available.
- Aug. 2006: The applet for GGSA has been revamped. We are looking for developers for new GGS game services.
- June. 2006: The UofA team has won one of three RTS game AI tournaments.
- Jan. 2006: Interested in RTS games? -> CMPUT605: Individual Study: Topics in RTS Games
- Nov. 2005: Upcoming ORTS RTS game AI competition
- Nov. 2005: For sale: new universal flat wall mount for screens up to 50 inch @ CampusAuctionMarket.com
- Nov. 2005: 605 course advertisement
- Oct. 2005: Winter 2006 605 course on RTS Game Topics
- Sep. 2005: 673 course on Computational Complexity Theory
- Sep. 2005: 605 course on RTS Game Topics
- Sep. 2005: We are planning an RTS game AI competition
Open Weekly Group Meetings
Please send me email if you are interested in joining us.
- Wednesdays 11:00-12:00 ATH 332: Card Game AI
- Fridays 10-11:00 ATH 332: RTS Game AI
- Fridays 15:00-16:30 ATH Heritage Lounge: Skat "field
(if you'd like to learn to play a great 3-player card
game please join us!)
Tip: take CMPUT 174/175/201/204 instead of CMPUT 274/275
Python, more C++, more algorithms, more data structures, more proofs,
more programming practice
Current/upcoming courses (links may point to previously held courses whose content may be changed):
W2019 CMPUT 403 Practical Algorithmics
W2019 CMPUT 605 Heuristic Search with Applications to Games
My F2018 CMPUT 603 presentation
Our program Kermit is currently the
best Skat program in the world!
It plays on ISS - the international skat server.
skatgame.net: A website devoted to playing Skat worldwide.
skatgame.net/wiki: An international Skat wiki.
A international forum about Skat.
Advancing Real-Time Strategy Game AI
2012,2013 AIIDE StarCraft AI Competition
ORTS: A free software Real-Time-Strategy Game Engine
ORTS-lite: An abstract RTS game
simulator and tournament environment written in C++. Requires SDL and
Boost. Licensed under GPLv3.
2009 RTS Game AI Competition
There will be an ORTS competition in August 2009. It will feature the
same games as last year. Details ...
Logistello - a strong Othello program.
(last update: November/2/2002, Logistello source available!)
Tominaga vs. Logistello (last
update: May/14/2002, Logistello won the two games)
Logistello gets lucky and wins the December 2002 GGS tournament
Jox: An HTPC command center and mp3
jukebox for Linux. Communicates with LIRC, VFD, panel buttons, and
receivers/monitors (via RS-232). Jox can be controlled through a
Play Webbels in your browser!
Java better than C++? Read this
Matrix game LP solver (C++) : lp.tgz (last update: Dec/17/2003, initial release)
McCreight's Radix Priority Search Trees (C++): PS_Tree.H Global.H (last
update: Feb/21/2002, initial release)
PROCMAIL SPAM BUSTER - kills all
spam dead, guaranteed :-)
(last update: Aug/4/2003, fixed security hole: / in email address allowed to overwrite any files)
openc++ 2.5.12 for
gcc-3.0.3 (last update: Jan/16/2002, initial release)
bprof+scripts (last update: July/23/2003, initial release)
bprof is a C/C++ profiler that generates line-by-line timing information.
last modified on
; you are visitor #